View Single Post
Old 06-14-2023, 09:27 AM   #44
leegreen

Re: Moody's Utah 58 Apache

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexMoody View Post
1)first time moving under its own power in about 25 years.
2)when the truck is off I can pump the brake and it feels firm.
3)When it's running the brake has no resistance.
4)Also, I can't find any wheel cylinders or rebuild kits for a 3600 3/4 ton.
1) brakes dont like to sit so long, especially if they were old to start with, have you had the drums off to see if everything is free?
2)is that one pump or several to get a firm pedal? Multiple pumps indicates the brakes are out of adjustment, or there is still air
3)do you mean pedal goes to the floor or the brakes do nothing to stop the truck? to the floor seems to point at booster setup, no brakes, see point 1, everything is probably rusted up
4) any decent autoparts place will have loose rubber cups, that may be all you need. If the pistons are rusted into bores you may need more, but the fact you were able to bleed them gives some hope it will all come apart. The cups probably have the size on them once you get it apart. As dsraven says, it may also be stamped into the wheel cylinder casting

fwiw, my totally rebuilt drum brakes needed the cylinders honed and new cups after 30 ish years sitting assembled and sealed. Brake fluid and brake lube are designed to absorb water, but it only goes so far.
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote