View Single Post
Old 06-19-2023, 09:45 AM   #19
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: 1971 Buick Boattail Riviera

It's not a driver yet. Ran into a problem with the carb kit. First issue was that the kit that was sent was not what I ordered. Not even close. Looks like a kit for a 2 barrel holley. My fault for not confirming the part number after delivery. Second issue was that the kit I did order might not have worked anyway. The carb wasn't original to the car. It was a 1975 version. Which we then found out matched the engine. Someone swapped the engine for a 1975 version, confirmed by checking casting and production codes I found. Not a big deal to me if it's not numbers matching, etc. just that the later engine was more of a choked down dog than the 71 version. Less compression, less power, probably worse gas mileage.

Got the new tank installed and we cranked over the engine until gas pumped to the carb so that's all ready to go. Mike took the carb home with him and is getting the correct kit to rebuild it then we just need to figure out how to get it back to me.

The other thing we did was try out my new buffer/polisher. It takes forever to get through the crust on top of this paint but wait til you see the results. Even better than I expected from my initial attempt. It's like one guy said on my FB post, it looks good once you get that coat of primer off.
Attached Images

hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote