View Single Post
Old 07-02-2023, 05:16 PM   #5
mr48chev

Re: should I use air compressor w/o engine running ?

It shouldn't have any effect on the compressor at all. Not any damaging effect, If you are playing the look at my truck go up and down with the airbags at a show or just doing show and tell it will put a pretty good on the battery without the engine running and charging. If you don't have a dedicated and isolated when not running battery for the compressor it is going to drain the battery just as if you sat there for a few hours blasting an annoying sound system at a show. Most of us have seen that guy who either played with his air bags, played his sound system or other toys and drained the battery down to the point where the car/truck wouldn't start when it was time to leave.

Truth be known, once the new wears off and you don't feel the need to play show and tell anymore it will be a non issue. You fire it up, air it up to set your down the road ride height and stance and off you go the only time you touch it from then is if you need ground clearance or if you drop it to the low cruise setting for a bit of cruising. Then when you get where you are going you set your "parked stance", and done.

I've often thought that laid out, air tank drained and main compressor fuse in your pocket is a good security setup for parking it when you are going to be away from it for a length of time like in a Motel parking lot. Another trick or two would probably defete a very low profile repo wheel lift.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote