View Single Post
Old 08-09-2023, 02:16 AM   #1203
SkinnyG

Re: SkinnyG's '61 Apache

Well......

First I put half a tank of 94 in it, and jumped the fuel pump to see if there were any leaks. One baby leak which was fixed by tightening the AN fitting at the regulator.

Next I tried to pressurize the oil system of the engine by using a hand-pump-pressurized chemical sprayer. This got the gauge to move a wee bit but only by ballooning the sprayer with compressed air (probably 125psi). I figure that shows it can make pressure, so no sense tempting fate and wearing 5L of 10W30, I poured the remaining 3L in.

Then I set up VCM Scanner (HP Tuners) to log (what was) the Fuel Tank Pressure - this is where I tied in my Wide-Band. Odd that the fuel pump didn't prime..... Interesting. And VCM Scanner couldn't read the truck. Nor could VCM Editor. Nor could my OBD scan tool. Nothing could connect!!

What. The. Heck.

So after about four hours of unplugging things and testing things, and worrying that I might have shorted or fried something, I found the problem:

SOMEBODY unpinned the B+ supply from PCM blue connector Pin 20, coiled it up, labeled it "Pin 50 Unused" and put it with the others.

I don't know who that somebody is, but I suspect it's my wife's husband. What an idiot.

So it's 11pm, the dash is all back together again, the fuel pump primes like it should, and my scanners can talk to the PCM.

Tomorrow, ladies and gentlemen, tomorrow!
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate

Last edited by SkinnyG; 08-09-2023 at 10:45 AM.
SkinnyG is online now   Reply With Quote