View Single Post
Old 08-19-2023, 12:22 PM   #14
JPBrecheisen

Re: Weird temp issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy nutcase View Post
I was going to edit my previous message as the last one I wrote was sitting at a mini market which is my turn around point to let it cool for 10 minutes on these test runs. My trip home was much better as the temp gage never got to that H zone. The trip is about 3 miles of 50 - 60 mph and the rest is 2 miles of about 15 traffic lights. And after I let it cool down it had zero trouble starting so yes thank you I think I'm getting in the ballpark. I still think a rogue pocket of air is making the water pump stammer or the pump itself may need replacing. As for the rad itself I only ever knew of one shop that could recore a radiator and he retired long ago. This day and age I imagine if I could find someone to do it the price would easily rival a new aluminum replacement
Yes, radiator shops are hard to find and the cost of copper cores are ridiculous.

On your air pocket theory, let it run until the thermostat opens then unbolt the heater and hold it down low beside the engine for few minutes to make sure all the air is out of the heater core.

I had a 65 that I had to flush the heater core by itself then do this to bleed all the air out of it.

The high mount cores can trap a little air because they're above the radiator cap.
JPBrecheisen is offline   Reply With Quote