View Single Post
Old 08-28-2023, 09:46 PM   #30
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: 1971 Buick Boattail Riviera

The original AC system was intact and still had pressure in it. It's still R12 which is expensive and hard to get. But I learned that there's an alternative other than R134. Look up duracool or 12a refrigerant. There's YouTube videos and it's widely available. You can get it on Amazon. I bought a kit off ebay that had refrigerant with dye, sealer, oil, the adapter and instructions.

If you look up the SDS for 134 you'll find it's basically flammable gasses. 12a is pretty much propane and something else like butane maybe. Anyway the 12a will mix fine with R12 so you don't have to evacuate the system. Just need the adapter for a 134 connector to put on the R12 system Schrader valve. My system is a 4.5 pound fill which is bigger than most so I opted to get extra cans of 12a. I started with 23psi still in the system, just a little low after sitting 20+ years.

I started with the can that had the oil in it, figuring it wouldn't hurt. Then added the sealer, then straight 12a. Added 5 cans total and the pressure came up to 32 and blows cold. Couldn't be simpler. This stuff is more efficient than 134 and a larger molecule so less prone to leaking. It cost me about $100 with shipping and I have an extra can if I need to add more.

I put the new trunk seal on the other day. Had to adjust the catch to get it to latch with the new seal. Hopefully I can tighten it down over time because it sits up higher than the quarters now.
Attached Images

hgs_notes is online now   Reply With Quote