View Single Post
Old 09-06-2023, 10:18 PM   #6293
Grizz1963

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside RESTO-GO!

So today, up at 04.25 and on the road by 04.50

Got to Clems place at Tuba Trucks……

We went to a prop shaft builder to have propshaft shortened by 1.5” for a truck he is building with a modern trans and longer tail shaft.

After this, back to Tuba Trucks Restoration.

Clem gave me his phone and computer after he had called the GMSpares supplier who had the dash surround on their inventory.

Seems it was discontinued and made obsolete a few years ago.

Poop !!!

So I called some vehicle breakers.

Amazingly, the first ones I called, Junkyard Dog Auto Salvage in Rogers, Arkansas, said they had a few Astros in their yard…….

Rogers has a few claims to fame.

Rogers is a city in Benton County, Arkansas, United States. Located in the Ozarks, it is part of the Northwest Arkansas region, one of the fastest growing metro areas in the country.[8] Rogers was the location of the first Walmart store, whose corporate headquarters is located in neighboring Bentonville. Daisy Outdoor Products, known for its air rifles, Think Daisy BB gun, part of American history , has both its headquarters and its Airgun Museum in Rogers. The city houses a popular shopping center, the Pinnacle Hills Promenade, and a music venue, the Walmart AMP, that has housed performances by big-name artists and local performers alike. [9]

Seriously??

So I drove over there.

So I got to Junkyard Dog and spoke to various staff, till Sam, who I had spoken to 0n the phone, came in.

He took me for a junk yard tour, 4 failed Astros, and then a 95 model, when the face change happened to them……

Jackpot.

Also gave me a heater control knob

Found one, and dismantled it….

Not the easiest thing to find in the U.K.

Two screws.

And a few easy clip switches to I clip.

Done…… in the truck.

Blower knob.

Dash panel came with a bonus.

Mud dauber wasp nest.

Bassstards.

Cleared out in the end.

Once I got home, I celebrated with Clem and had a Sailor Jerry and Coke, followed by cleaning the whole surround that had cost me a whole £20.00 or $25.00

This is the most awesome win for me.

Finding an obsolete part a long way from home, constitutes a major win when rebuilding a 30 plus year old car.

I feel vindicated.

Cleaned up.

Did I mention that life is good?
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote