Thread: 55.2-59 Issues with rear brakes
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2023, 09:16 PM   #20
mr48chev

Re: Issues with rear brakes

Well you can lead them to water but you dang well can't help them drink.

I don't know how I could have made it any plainer, you need to do two things for it to work, Take the 2 inch shoes off and put 1-3/4 shoes on. That is a 15 minute a wheel task.

When people mix and match pieces and buy this here and that there they don't always get the right mix of parts. Then have someone trim enough off the lip of each drum so that they don't rub the backing plates. That is a pretty common thing when mixing a batch of parts together that may or may not have been designed to work with each other. That is a simple ten minute task per drum if that for someone with a brake lathe preferrable one that does drums and disks. You have to be able to think outside the box.

There is no reason to spend a bunch of money having disk brakes at this time because this didn't work.

It could be that the drums were a bit off but if the new drums don't fix it change the shoes and trim the lip on the drum and go drive the truck.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote