View Single Post
Old 10-01-2023, 04:57 PM   #37
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: 1971 Buick Boattail Riviera

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbass View Post
That hood's as big as some backyards LOL.
An LS/4L80 would drastically change the character of the car. After careful deliberation, I say "go for it!".
Time and money, that's all it takes right? Once I knew the engine was hurt from sitting forever I figured the swap was inevitable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
I'm a big time LS fan.
A well built 4L60E will handle a semi stock 6.0 quite well. May be a 2800 stall converter depending on you cam?
So let me spend some of your cash.
24 tooth crank reluctor 6.0 iron block. So you need one ECM for the engine and trans control. I like and use the OEM ECM's but some like the Holley stuff.
Add L92 heads, upgraded valve springs, upgraded push rods, LS7 lifters and maybe a truinion rocker arm upgrade?
LS3 intake and 42 .lb injectors. LS3 DBW throttle body.
Cam wise a 220I/225E. Around .600 lift. 114 CL?
3.73 gear wise.
Headers?
I'm up in west central MN if you want to talk LS swaps.
Good luck with your project.
I learned a lot doing the first LS swap in my crewcab. I'm sure a 4L60 would handle a mild build 6.0 just fine but since it has a TH400 now that has the same spline count as the 4L80 and is just a more stout transmission. Looking at the used market there isn't much cost difference for one coming out of a drivable car.

There is almost zero info out there on doing an LS swap in these cars. Several builds on earlier Rivs but not the boattails. They are an E body and the other brands E body cars are front wheel drive. So no off the shelf mounts are designed for it. But it has a big engine bay, the steering is in front of the crossmember like a GM truck, rear sump oil pan, similar exhaust manifold outlets as a truck. It's probably not a big difference from the 454/TH400 swap I did on the crewcab. I can get universal mounts and just weld the tabs where they need to go or make my own. Not sure I'll jump into this this winter or not. I tend to get into things while other projects are waiting and I do want to get the cobra at least ready for paint if not completely finished. And I would like to finish up the crewcab too, which needs body work and paint and the heater/AC system done.

So I "should" be letting this be as is and just drive it until I'm ready to tear into it. Anyone reading this that is familiar with other projects of mine knows everything I have is a long term project and I rarely give up on them.

On another note, the last time I drove the car I heard a rattling sound from the front of the engine. Fan/water pump pulley was loose. Weird because the bolts were tight. I took it apart the other day and the pulley was missing the center, like it had been hacked out for some reason. The bolt holes were a bit oblonged out, the bolts were damaged on the threads from it rubbing. So I bought some new bolts and figured I would try and just bolt it back in and see if it would be tight enough but then I looked at the nose of the water pump and found the middle of the pulley. Never seen one break before. A friend is going to see if he has one on a 455 he has. Otherwise I'll have to search around on my own.
Attached Images

hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote