View Single Post
Old 10-03-2023, 08:51 PM   #367
dsraven

Re: 55 years ago I was given this USAF 54 3100

I just went through 3 rebuilt alternators and one "new" one and ended up returning for credit. went to a rebuilder, paid the core charge and got their rebuild and a new set of wiring plugs. worked right out of the box. well, no box just a nice new looking rebuilt alternator handed to me over the counter by the dude who rebuilt it and TESTED it afterward. he also gave me a wiring diagram because the parts store rebuild ones for the fox body mustang required the plug be cut off and a new pigtail be wired in-right from the alternator-no plug at all, period. you can imagine my joy rewiring each time the rebuilt or new parts store alternator didn't work.
if you have an alternator/starter rebuild guy anywhere close, and he is reputable, grab a rebuilt one from him. have it tested by him before you leave and ask for the test results. that way you will know what it puts out for amps at a certain voltage. then check your output wiring to make sure it is up to taking that many amps. go from there.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote