View Single Post
Old 10-05-2023, 10:48 AM   #373
dsraven

Re: 55 years ago I was given this USAF 54 3100

I usually make my own cables with the most flexible welding cable I can find and copper cbale lugs. I have a crimper for the job, it is one of those hammer style units, and then the connection gets soldered and shrink tubed with double wall tubing of the correct color for the job. red or black. bouble wall shrink tube is thicker walled and has like a hot glue substance inside that melts to seal the connection. don't know why they even sell regular stuff when this stuff is waaay better.
for grounds it is always good to go from battery neg to the engine block, from there to the frame and another to the body. on older stuff that isn't unibody another ground from the frame to a common ground near the front is always good because headlights etc are usually grounded to the rad support which is only getting a ground through metal to metal contact of painted (usually) body parts. a ground wire from the frame to the rad support is recommended in that case, or bring all the grounds from each accy back to a common ground point connected to the frame. if you have done wiring on a newer vehicle you will be aware of how many ground points in obscure areas new vehicles have.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote