View Single Post
Old 10-13-2023, 02:01 PM   #253
daveshilling

Re: 1958 Apache Big Window Loooooong Bed "Lucky"

Doors and windows are places where you get either a satisfying interaction, or a disappointing one... When a door closes nicely, or a window/door latch works well, it improves the experience for me. Slamming doors and using muscle to roll up a window....not good.

My interior door handle assemblies had issues.. the first being the broken springs. Nobody sells these springs, and I'm not buying a new assembly and tossing good steel in the trash, so I took these out (both sides had the issue) and welded the springs back. They don't have too much travel, so they should survive the heat and stress.

I also noticed how loose the post is, causing the door handle to wiggle in the hand when in use. If I were designing a replacement, I'd improve the tolerance here.... so I found a way.

Using a regular nut, I drilled out the center until it just fit over the post. Then I countersunk one side so it would sit flush against the housing. Welding that together created a more robust channel for the post to turn in, and has eliminated the wiggle/slop that was there before. This was a great $0 modification that I will notice every time I drive the truck!
Attached Images

daveshilling is offline   Reply With Quote