View Single Post
Old 10-15-2023, 12:30 PM   #9
dsraven

Re: inner fender splash guards after Mustang 2 installation

if the sheet metal thing is out of your wheel house then the fiberglass idea would be easier. do a little research of your own on the methods. there are 2 types of fiberglass resin, waxed and unwaxed. the waxed stuff requires you to scuff it between coats whereas the unwaxed stuff is made for doing "layups" of several layers without the scuff requirement to remove the wax. there is a cloth called stitched wovwen roving that has the mat on the back side and chopped strand on the front side. it gets a job done in a short time because it gets thick in the first application. if you have a fairly smooth mold, like no sharp corners, this would work well. if you have some sharp profiles then possible use chopped strand which can be mixed up in a cup and peressed into those sharp spots prior to a cloth applicaction over top. cloth usually likes to retain it's flat shape so tight little concave spots get a bubble easy, the chopped strand under the cloth can help with that. when the shape is all done and youre rerady to finish the side you see you can apply gel coat over the top. the final coat of whatever should be a waxed product so you can work with it easier. gel coat can be sprayed rolled or brushed on, sprayed requires a large tip. I did the underside of my daughters boat a few years back and bought a gel coat gun with the correct tip.thats overkill for this though. there is a mold release product if you think you need it. most molds are made with slightlyt tapered edges soo the product can get out of the mold, if you use a cardboard mold it can simply be a single use mold. I suggest to fasten the mold down to something so it retains its shape when laying up the glass over top.
whatever you do, post up some pics of the process. i haven't seen a retail version of what youre after. a lot of guys use rubber flaps. I am not sure what I will do with mine, it's got a big hole so maybe a bubble over top of that or simply fab up some new inner fenders that are closer to the engine and cover all that stuff. there are guys who have made really nice looking inner fenders that cover the suspension and look awesome.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote