View Single Post
Old 10-17-2023, 01:35 AM   #3
mr48chev

Re: Possible 1951 purchase with pics

It has a few hickups but in today's market is probably worth close to 12k.

The truck started out as a 3600 3/4 ton that has had the frame shortened. You can see that with the rear springs outside the rails and the shortened longbed sides. That's not a deal breaker though.

It still has the I beam axle, what look like aftermarket front springs with disk brakes and a power steering conversion.

There is some rust along the bottom edge of the back of the cab that will need some attention in the future. Blue circle on image. The red circles show where the frame was shortened. I'd want to know what they did to reinforce the frame when they welded it.

New exhaust is good but you will probably want to run it out from under the truck after you drive it a ways.

Engine wise it is just a nice engine unless he has documentation that shows what was done to it and when. Rebuilt 8-10 years ago with unknown miles is just a decent used engine.

The inner fenders look like they were cut for a subframe swap at one time. That is why they have the big openings at the bottom edge. Meaning that the front end had a life before it was on that truck.

I'm not sure what is up with the wiper motor on the firewall as it was up under the dash originally.

From there it is how it looks to you when you go look at it and either you like it enough to make an offer or it just doesn't spin your wheels when you see it in person.

I'd offer what I felt wouldn't offend but could be a starting point for negotations. Meaning be prepared to pay 12 but don't plan on paying 12 and either find out if there is a branch of the bank you deal with close to where he is or take plenty of backup.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote