View Single Post
Old 10-17-2023, 11:12 PM   #12
mr48chev

Re: Possible 1951 purchase with pics

I have to believe that you may be wise to pass on that one, It has some nice pieces on it but possible sketchy work as far as shortening the frame and as Dsraven said, fresh primer often hides a few sins.

One thing is that when you put the axle on top of the spring of a 3600 you have as you can see if you look close around 1 inch of clearance between the axle and the frame. Meaning every time it hits a bump the axle hits the frame.

That would mean that you would have to remove the box and modify/notch the frame for clearance before you drove it any distance. A cooler and two lawn chairs in the back would almost overload it.

That, the frame looking butt welded with no reinforcement, the sketchy shortening of the running boards and a few other short cuts are issues that make one want to pass.

I've got a 54 frame under my 48 and it isn't all that low but I didn't notch the frame and the axle beat on the frame enough on the left side to actually break the frame. That is one reason why I am building a new frame.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote