Thread: 47-55.1 bump steer
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2023, 12:49 AM   #2
leegreen

Re: bump steer

I believe it will cause bump steer if the spring flexes much at all. As the leaf flattens out the spring gets longer and moved towards the shackle end, the axle moves back and forth about half as much as the total spring changes length. if the steering box is at the shackle end as the axle moves relative to the steering the wheels will turn from side to side a bit.

look at an 1952 frame: rear steering box and shackles in the front drag link pivot is very close to fixed shackle
look at a 1970s leaf spring 4x4 frame, front steer and shackles in the rear

People will argue I am wrong and the axle moves relative to fixed end of spring too. I could be wrong. Maybe someone here has the same repositioned box and can comment from actual knowledge of your proposed setup

the semi truck you mention....maybe there is just not much spring flex? or the spring is pretty much flat anyway so it won't change length much?

drag link not parallel to ground also cause bump steer. the more angle it starts at the more back and forth movement there is as it travels through it's arc of movement
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote