Thread: 47-55.1 bump steer
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2023, 12:21 PM   #18
57tailgater

Re: bump steer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone View Post
Leegreen: thanks for that info. It clarifys alot. I had not thought about the spring flattening out and the axle moving forward under compression.
1Project: I like the idea of the piston on the stock tie rod.
My whole idea on doing this project is that my original steering box is really worn with about 2.5 in. of free play. Its adjusted as tight as I can get it .Also the box is spaced out away from the frame about 1.5" which clears the exhaust manifold, but I have to crawl under the truck to remove the #5 spark plug. I just wanted to clean things up.
Looks like my only solution would be to flip the fixed end to the front and go from there.
Looks like this may be way too much work, so I may get serious about an IFS.
Thanks everyone for the input and education.
If you're intending to flip the fixed end, note the change in height differences that may occur and how caster would be affected. My one theory on newer trucks why they changed the shackled end to the rear is to help dissipate road shock inputs into the frame. With the fixed end on the rear these inputs are going directly into the frame bracket where if the shackled end is in the rear those inputs can be dissipated some by that end being allowed to move. I looked at doing this on a Willys 4x4 pickup I once had and the height differential was too great to change. Food for thought.
57tailgater is offline   Reply With Quote