View Single Post
Old 10-28-2023, 11:15 PM   #168
Justin71105

Re: 1964 C10 fleet side swb

I dont think it was the loose bolt on tie rode adjuster.

Well got under it around 7pm and started checking steering, checked bolts and greased everything again, just a pump or two.

Turned steering shaft and watched/listened to steering components for rubbing , binding, popping I was hearing.

Noticed there was a good bit of slop in the pitman arm where it attatches to the steering linkage when I rotated steering shaft back and forth. It was like it was not even pressed in, but cotter pin was in.

I remembered that I used the pitman arm I had left over from my 98 Silverado. I remember looking it up to make sure it fit... Well it fit the steering box splines, but the linkage side did not and I did not notice when installing.

The shaft on the 98 arm is around 2.5mm smaller than the 73-87 one I picked up tonight.

Installed the new pitman arm, the slop is gone from linkage totally now. Pressed in like I would expect, don't know why I didnt catch it when I did install but that was quite awhile back.

Have not driven it yet, it's a little late to go for a ride for me but I will test tomorrow.

I also put some white lithium grease on the joints for my internediate shaft, both U joint ends. I read this is another cause for popping coming from front end. Everything in the front end is new but also checked ball joints/bearings for any noise/movement and they are good.

Lucky I caught this issue with less than 25 miles on it, probably would have been caught at alignment but they may have even missed it.

Other than that everything else still seems to be good. Will also need to pick up a tie rod boot, one of them has a small tear and is pushing out some grease.