View Single Post
Old 10-30-2023, 04:44 PM   #27
mr48chev

Re: Possible 1951 purchase with pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
I think this is a very good idea. If someone wants to start a new thread, once complete or close to, I can close it and put it at the top. I can always add more to it if there are more suggestions that come in.
Although we have gotten a bit off topic on this one the basic thread does show that an extra set of eyes help save one from grief later.

This time that particular truck is a pretty decent pile of parts that someone with experience could start with and build a nice truck out of if they could get it for 4 or 5K. It's obviously not the 13 K truck that a new to the hobby guy can buy and jump in and drive though and to my way of thinking any AD truck that you pay 13 K for should be capable of having the buyer load his/her gear in it and take off on a cross country road trip without and issue and not have to have major changes to be drivable. One major change on that one being the dire need of a C notch.

My long time buddy who is now in a nursing home was one of those guys who saw old cars and trucks through rose colored glasses and had a hard time seeing past the flash to see what was actually there. Sometimes I think he took me along to be the designated nitpicker and that brings up the thing that having a buddy with some real experience who is a bit of a nit picker who always finds the bad in things might be handy to have along rather than just the buddy with the rose colored glasses.

Sometimes these truck remind me of my grandmother and her pie recipies to some degree. She was a highly respected pie maker at local functions who's pies were always first sold at a church bake sale and the first gone at the Grange dinner that my grandparents helped with and enlisted my help for a number of years as a helper and dish washer. She didn't hand out her recipies to many as some always didn't follow all of the directions and use the exact ingrediants that she had listed. If you followed directions to the letter you had a great pie but if you cheaped out and bought lower quality ingrediants or substituted you didn't end up with a great pie.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote