View Single Post
Old 12-14-2023, 05:46 PM   #651
57FleetsideC4

Re: Project: Tow-Rat (Lil' Blue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post
sure!

so i first went for doing the lower horizontal window felts last ... but found out they need messed with early.

my plan of action for the passenger door now having only assembled one ever ... i didn't even stay at a holiday inn express last night.

- install window crank mech
- hold the outer window channel and felt strips in place, trim felt/backing even with edge of the window channel so it's not behind/in it.
- install window felts, cuss as needed
- throw the main glass in the door, let it rest down inside the door out of the back channel and all way to the rear of the door.
- partially install the vent window. i missed needing to get the tab in the slot to start with, 3 of my holes didn't line up but easy enough to drill a new hole for a screws.
- form and fit the outer window channel to the door/vent frame, then leave the top hanging out of the door ... mine is tight but missing the lower clip that rusted off. i'll put a few RTV dots behind it if it starts to slip down with the window.
- unbolt the vent window and let it hang with the bottom of the track in the door pushed forward some.
- lift the glass up into the outer channel and the vent channel and bring it up thru the felts. fingernails only holding it on the trim worked to push it up for me, a ducttape handle might be safer. lots of space due to the window shape, but you can push the vent back into place as it comes up if you tipped it way in.
- slip lower window slider bracket thingy onto the crank mech (holes are more forward) set the glass on it and bolt to the glass
- bolt the vent assembly in place
- re-fit the outer channel rolling up the window to hold all that in place nice and final finagling
- fit window surround trim
- install latch bar/crank
- install door trim panel and crank handles

it's almost entirely 1/4-20 x 1/2" screws. i have little stainless button heads, and countersunk for the panel. i think it was #10x1/2" countersunk for the trim, much smaller for the 4 on the vent window.
Thank You very much. That will be helpful when I come to that part of my project. Steve