Thread: 63 Fuel Tank
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2023, 11:14 AM   #6
cwcarpenter98

Re: 63 Fuel Tank

I know you just did an initial mock up, but I'm with MT65 on this one. If it ends up hanging that far below the frame rail, that's definitely not ideal.

On the squarebody, part of the tank was under the seat, the rest of it was under the bed. Of course, the floor was stamped to have clearance for that setup.

This idea would require a good bit of metal work, but I've thought about cutting up the rear wall of the cab to be more like the squarebody cab shape. That would allow the tank to sit up higher and be more protected by the surrounding sheet metal.

I also don't want to lose my spare tire under the bed. I also want to take the tank out of the cab at some point. The trailing arm rear end definitely makes that more of a challenge since it doesn't allow space for a tank between the inside frame rail and driveshaft. If your truck is a leaf spring rig, that's something that could be an option

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, Muncie 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350 --> Soon to be 350, Saginaw 4 speed

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote