View Single Post
Old 01-19-2024, 10:24 AM   #2
adf5565

Re: New 10K hitch install

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaX522 View Post
Installed a new Curt 14082 10K hitch. The trailer I plan to pull will be in the 5-6k range when loaded. I like to setup for overkill, so a 10k sounded right. I researched on this site what hitch was recommended. I am very happy with it. Very nice quality, simple install, fits perfect. The hardware included thick steel shims to use for spacers between hitch and frame to clear rivets. There weren’t any rivets where I mounted the hitch, so I was able to mount it right to the frame. I did use the thick shims on the top of the frame as reinforcement.
I’ll have my friend that’s a fabricator look at it to see if he thinks the frame area needs any reinforcement.
Looks good! I used the same hitch on my 72 C20 as well. I did have to use a 1/4" plate as spacer between the frame channel and the hitch in order to lower the hitch just enough to clear my LMC rear step bumper. And I also did add a 1/4" x 2" x 2" angle (or it could've been 2.5"x2.5", whatever the C-channel flange width was) on the inside of the frame to reinforce it. Not sure if it is needed but that angle iron is bolted to the frame itself (obviously), the overload leaf spring mount, and the bumper brackets so I felt it tied everything together for more strength. I'll post a pic when I get home just for everyone's reference.
adf5565 is offline   Reply With Quote