View Single Post
Old 01-21-2024, 06:18 PM   #136
Jason Banks

Re: My 1967 Chevy K20 Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaparralman1974 View Post
Unfortunately, no not yet. I am still searching for them.

Clay

********** EDIT 12/2/2023 **********
For anyone interested, I did end up finding a brake drum that will work with the dana 44 closed knuckle front axle. Another member of the forum helped me find it. It is Raybestos 2008R. I believe that this drum was used for 1950's Chevy Trucks on the front axle. The lug holes will need to be drilled and reamed to match the lug studs. I upgraded my studs to 9/16", and if memory serves me correctly I had to ream the holes out to 5/8", but the drums fit perfectly otherwise.
I'm 99% sure I know the answer and your pictures also seem to confirm...

But, do the brake drums just slide off the spindle?

I pulled my spindle and hub as an assembly and can't seem to get them apart? I did take the 2 screws that hold them together and air hammered around the hub on the drum(before I just pulled them together). Had to quit for today, but I thought tomorrow I would parts washer the grease out of the hub and stick them in the sandblaster to make sure there's not paint/grime buildup causing a ridge at the ID of the drum. I say that, because when they were still on the axle. I could pry lightly between the backing plate and drum and see movement at the lug studs. I also lightly heated the drum in the same place. I'm trying to be gentle for fear of warping them like you thought you might have....
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote