Thread: 69 shop truck
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2024, 04:44 PM   #7
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

Re: 69 shop truck

Just ran the numbers on the engines. The one in the back bed is a 69 307 so I would say it was original to the truck. The one installed is a 71 307. Have a guy coming over later to help me with the engine. The guy I bought it from (80 years old) had this used motor put in and they could not get it to run right and he thinks it has a low end knock. The way he described it to me sounded more like a lifter rapping but with my hearing loss it is hard for me to tell. I put my hand on the drivers side valve cover and I could actually feel it knocking at idle and it felt like it was in the valve cover. Passenger side I did not feel any knocking or tapping. I just pulled the valve cover a few minutes ago and #3 cylinder rocker closest to the front I could feel that one tapping. All others felt good. Grabbed a 5/8 and put almost a 1/4 turn on the nut and it quit the knocking I was feeling. Not sure if that was the issue that he was hearing so that is why I am having a fellow stop by to see if he can hear anything else going on. I am hoping that took care of the issue and not dealing with a wiped lifter or cam or even worse, bottom end. Certainly not looking to spend a bunch of money on the 307 even though I have had several decent ones over the years. If this one needs internal work I will just pull it and swap in a 350 4 bolt I have sitting here that I pulled from a 71 GMC 1500. It has a 350 turbo behind it but I will keep the 3ott in place. It is supposed to have a new clutch kit in it now and the column shifter is nice and tight for once. Once I make sure there is no other knocking going on then I will work on getting the stumble out of it on acceleration. Fixed some oddball stuff on it as well that has no bearing in being able to drive it, but made me feel better
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote