View Single Post
Old 02-10-2024, 03:34 PM   #169
sfont66

Re: 72 C10 for my 25th wedding anniversary

I cut a cross section out of the clay and measured the clearance very close to 1/4”(.0.2475) for the intake valve and 3/16 (0.1840)for the exhaust valve. Plenty of room. I really didn’t think this cam was going to have issues, but with exhaust duration in the 240’s and aftermarket heads, I thought it would give me peace of mind to double check.

I washed off the rust inhibitor on the lifters with mineral spirits, and then gently blew them dry with compressed air. After that I soaked them in oil, I know most people say you shouldn’t, or don’t have to, but I wanted to make certain there wasn’t any trace of mineral spirits left inside the lifter cavities. After the oil bath I let the lifters drain, plugged them into the trays, applied assembly lube to the lifters and lifter bores, and placed the lifters and trays into the engine.
I gave the block deck and head a final wipe with lacquer thinner and a clean cloth, set a new gasket in place and lowered the head onto the block.
The ARP bolts called for a 30#, 60#,90# torque spec , in sequence the 10 larger bolts and 25# on the 5 smaller bolts.
Attached Images