View Single Post
Old 02-11-2024, 12:11 PM   #8
leegreen

Re: s10 suspension in an AD pickup.

C10 coil spring IFS cross member bolts in the same from the first one in 1963(?) until 1986-ish

C10 IFS is too wide for AD fenders. The cross member - frame mount width may be close but the control arms are long

6DoF's very nice build is a TF truck using 1 ton C30 IFS and dually style deep offset rims to get the tires inside the TF fenders Plus TF are somewhat wider than AD

I started my build in 1980 and used a full 1964-65 c10 frame, trailing arm rear is the right width, I narrowed the IFS cross member and center link to get the wheels under the fenders. Life happened, but I got it 90% finished and on the road last summer. It drives and rides fine, about like you'd expect a fixed up c10 of that vintage to ride, probably better since the rear springs are Chevelle wagon with air shocks for cargo capacity. And much better riding that a stock AD. This spring's projects include PS and probably front disk if I find some stock height 73-77 spindles

Would I do it again?
In 1980, yes as there were not many IFS options other than using a car front clip and so many of those were very rudely done back then, they did not inspire confidence this was the right way to go.

Today, there is no chance I'd do this C10 into AD swap. I'd go stock axle, or stock frame with M11 crossmember , or S10 swap, depending on condition of the truck I started with. Given the condition of most 'project' ADs for sale S10 swap seems most likely.

I find it surprising no-one has come up with a crossmember kit to use s10 suspension on old frames the same way MII stuff is used

crownvic is a nice suspension unit but too wide for 50s trucks
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote