View Single Post
Old 02-12-2024, 06:16 PM   #8
joeydurango

Re: Previous owner '68

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaburbn View Post
Hey Rg, do you know what the best wood for a truck bed is? LOL! That sounds like a set up to a joke! But seriously it's not. I new a good ole boy in Colorado that owned and operated an old saw mill for over 40yrs before I met him. He ran it another 20yrs after I had met him. The place was like a museum. He had 20' tall re-saw band saws with 8' wheels and 14" wide band saw blades. He cut big timbers for the mines and big chock blocks for binding tanks on train cars for the military. All kinds of stuff. Any way he always had these huge logs piled up and one day I asked him what did he use that species for. He told me truck beds. Ive recommended to everyone I've met that needed a truck bed. The ones that did use this species have all said, yes! Best wood for truck beds hands down. And it is the only use I've ever found for this species. Except firewood of course.

Go ahead and guess. Let's see if anyone else knows. It's going to have to be a good ole boy in the know for sure. 100%
Speaking as a longtime Coloradan, the only trees I can think of that would be easy to get truck-length strips out of would be ponderosa pine. Maybe aspen, but I wouldn't use aspen for much of anything.

Speaking as a born-and-raised Ohio Valley guy, I'd think you'd want a nice hardwood, the likes of which don't much exist in Colorado. But maybe they're too brittle.
1976 Trans Am | 455/4-spd | TOTALED
joeydurango is offline   Reply With Quote