View Single Post
Old 02-22-2024, 07:03 PM   #217
TX3100Guy

Re: Eliminate draft tube options

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
agreed, if the engine needs a bunch of money spent then i would simply button it up with lube etc for storage, pallet it as a complete drop back in type deal, and then (if it were me) I would install an LS engine. that will take some cash and other stuff would need to be changed too, so the small block would be the cheaper option. you could fuel inject it though so it would be a better runner and easier on gas. maybe think about getting that gas tank out of the cab and also a dual master cylinder for the brakes. if you go small block you could also swap the rear axle (also pallet the old stuff as a complete set up) with something that would give you a better highway speed or go with an automatic that has overdrive. again, more changes. whatever you do, keep the old stuff and be careful with taking it apart because one day, when you wanna sell it, that would be a great thing to have in the portfolio.
swapping in a v* with the original driveline would require a different bell housing for the V8 engine with the rear cross ember mounts like the old 6 has. you can buy new or used. then some motor mounts, exhaust manifolds and a system behind them, rad hoses, etc etc.
Wow there is a lot there to digest and much of it I've already considered (and dreaded). First a note, the fuel tank is already out of the cab and a new aluminum one with an in-tank fuel pump has already been installed. While I can afford an LS, the question is do I really want to spend all that money. My friend who sold me the truck suggested that if I have to go that route, I should put all of these interesting memorabilia pieces up for sale to fund this heart transplant. That would include a Vertex Magneto, a McCulloch super charger with sealed carb hat and Stromberg two-barrel carb, a newly rebuilt Saginaw four-speed transmission from a 67 Camaro, the Hallibrand quck change differential, a bell housing, and a set of headers for the 261 engine. While this list is impressive and possibly could yield some decent cash, it is the heart and soul of this build in my mind.

The idea of taking on a brand spanking new LS or small block with EFI, automatic transmission, etc sounds wonderful. The surgery to install all of it with a new bell housing, motor mounts, cross members, new rear differential sounds overwhelming, let alone the cost of all of that. I suspect if I'm going that far, I should install a new front axle with coil overs or air bags, along with for real power steering instead of my electric unit with the old steering box. That means replacing the brand new master cylinder, electric hydraulic pump, as well as four wheel disk brake setup on the existing axles. This is giving me and my wallet a headache, hopefully my engine buddy comes back as says we are good to go..............

My 1953 Chevy Work-In-Process Photo Gallery

"I don't have a carbon footprint, I drive everywhere."
TX3100Guy is offline   Reply With Quote