Thread: 55.2-59 Fuel line question
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2024, 03:16 PM   #4
leegreen

Re: Fuel line question

It looks like the fitting on fuel line is typical SAE double flare, but it is not really clear
http://www.fedhillusa.com/?page=flare
Shows some of the different flares.

as 57tailgater says you probably need a SAE inverted flare to hose barb fitting, but pay attention to the inside of the fitting to make sure it has the male cone seat inside it to go inside the flared end of the hard line. The outward appearance of a female plumbing NPT fitting hose barb intended for tapered pipe thread is the same as the SAE female thread inverted flare fitting and the people involved in the warehousing, delivery, stocking and sale of this stuff don't all know the difference so the fittings get mixed up in the drawers. Talking my way behind the counter is my preference.

I'm suspicious of how that hose barb is screwed all the way into the fuel pump in your picture. The pump is usually a NPT fitting. NPT tapered threads usually leave some thread showing when tight. You might have a SAE barb bottomed out in the threads there? The outlet side looks like what I'd expect, a NPT to SAE adapter then SAE line nut

The suck side of the mechanical system is not prone to leaks so people often get away with poor fitting selections. But fuel leaks can ruin your day so take the time to get it right.
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote