Thread: 55.2-59 Fuel line question
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2024, 10:35 AM   #14
dsraven

Re: Fuel line question

ok, I guess the problem you are having is that the steel line from the fuel tank has a double flare on it and that doesn't accept a hose, like you want it to, so you can have a flexible connection from the frame to the fuel pump. in this space you would like to install a fuel filter prior to the fuel pump. the fuel pump inlet side of things has a hose barb for a hose connection, which would support this hose connection, but the frame side doesn't. is this correct?
if this is correct, you could simly push the flared fitting nut back on the steel line so it is out of the way, slip your rubber fuel line over the end of the steel line far enough for clamps, then clamp it on there with some good quality hose clamps. the bump in the steel line that was made for the flare fitting will become the bump required to retain the hose. don't clamp the rubber hose over top of the bump. clamp the rubber hose behind that using 2 clamps spaced slightly apart. this is the suction side of the pump so it will only have atmospheric pressure applied at a maximum. after that connection is complete mount your fuel filter as described in a previous post. I say mount it because if you simply hang the filter it becomes a weight hanging on the rubber hose and this can cause strain from the weight and also the vibration of the hose with the weight against the metal of the fuel pump fitting and the steel line fitting. this, age and temperature highs and lows usually causes the hose to crack at those strain points and then it leaks at the most inopportune time. granted, there are lots of vehicles driving around with a big old fuel fikter dangling on a rubber hose between the frame and the engine. never had a problem they say. as a mechanic i can tell you they have been lucky or else they have a maintenence program where they actually check and change the rubber line often enough so it hasn't had time to deteriorate enough to cause a problem
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote