View Single Post
Old 04-11-2024, 10:19 AM   #10
old51sedan

Re: L6's with Offenhauser 4 barrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
The Clifford L6 intake is plumbed for water I believe. One is supposed to divert a water hose from the heater core lines. Not sure which one, or if it makes a difference.
Offenhauser chose to copy the GM manifold [except for the 4V] but in aluminum alloy so it would mate with the GM cast iron exhaust manifolds.
Clifford makes headers which do not interfere with their intake. But the Clifford intake will not work with stock OEM exhausts.
I guess you see some deep winters in Michigan.
I'm not sure about Clifford intake but I know the Offenhauser I have is. I don't care for the looks of the water lines around the engine, that's why I'm thinking of using the exhaust heat. I believe I can drill a hole in each of the exhaust pipes just below the cast iron headers, weld a nut on there such as is done for an oxygen sensor and run two pieces of 3/8's copper tubing up to the plate below the carb and have instant heat for the carb, no waiting for the engine to get up to temperature to have heat. That is the way it is on my 235 six in my 51 sedan, it works great.
old51sedan is offline   Reply With Quote