Thread: fuel gauge
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2024, 03:24 AM   #25
RustyPile

Re: fuel gauge

Six years ago when I bought my '71, the fuel gauge did not work.. The brass float had rotted out and sunk to the bottom. I installed an LMC sending unit and the gauge worked perfectly. 3 - 4 months later, the gauge quit working again. The solder joint on the float had failed, the float filled with gas and subsequently sunk. LMC provided me with a replacement sending unit. A few weeks later it failed. I returned the sending unit and LMC issued a refund. I bought a sending unit from Classic Industries, and examined the sending unit to see if I could determine the reason for the solder failure.. The float fitted tight in the "loop" of the arm. I removed the float and opened the loop enough that the float was loose but well captured.. This all happened in 2018.. Today that same float/sending unit is in my truck, working perfectly..

As you know, solder doesn't have much structural strength. I believe the loop fits the float too tightly, causing stress on the solder joint, and it will eventually fail. Loosen the loop , releasing that tension and the premature float failure issue is resolved.
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote