View Single Post
Old 04-30-2024, 03:55 PM   #6
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Frank Frazetta - H.G. the BarbariVan

Saturday I got the new gas tank in. It came with a 33 gal tank but I ordered the smaller 22 gal tank. I didn't compare measurements which was a mistake. I figured it would be shallower like the suburban tanks are but no, it's shorter front to back. I also ordered the newer style tank for an EFI application in case I do an in tank pump some day. But the other difference on the tank is the filler tube is larger than original. So the money I saved on the smaller tank was spent on fuel filler hose. Oh well. I managed to get it all in and working by adding some short pieces of chains on the tank straps. I still need to hook up the vent line that parallels the filler hose.

It's all in and even the gauge still works. I put some gas in the carb and it started right up, then died after a bit. Still didn't get gas from the tank. One more time and it was fine and running off clean new gas.

I also had to repair the left rear brake. The brake line was sticking up high, I moved it back down by the axle tube and the end where it goes into the wheel cylinder started dripping. Crap. Of course it's all rusty so I ended up buying new shoes, cylinder, hardware and line for it. But then I couldn't bleed it. No flow from the master cylinder. It's half shot. By that I mean it is a double diaphragm and I think one part works, but the pedal only goes halfway to the floor.

I did manage to get it off the trailer and drive it a bit but the tranny didn't want to engage. I had checked the fluid when it wasn't running and it was high. After a nights sleep I figured I better check it again while running and sure enough it was very low. I added about 3 quarts and that did the trick. Tranny works! The problem now is the right front brake is dragging BAD. It's been raining so everything is wet. No traction to push the stuck wheel without a lot of tire spinning so I parked it in the grass where it stopped moving.

This morning I dragged it up by the garage and that stuck wheel would roll some then slide then roll then slide, etc. I took off the wheel to inspect it and it has new pads on it but the old caliper, which was rusty and dirty and probably not backing off enough. I broke the bleeder trying to coax it open. No surprise there.

So I just ordered the rest of the brake system and maybe I'll get that all done this weekend. Oh I did drive it though. The wheel rolled enough that I decided to just send it. My driveway is 1/4 mile long and I went down to the T intersection another 1/8 mile away to turn around. I did that twice and that rotor got hot but I was able to drive it and go through the gears. The only non-brake issue was some backfiring under load. I think there's a vacuum leak and the timing might be off a bit. Not too concerned, it really starts and runs pretty good.

Cleaned up the dash a bit. All the gauges work, radio lights up but I don't think there is a speaker connected, no sound. No cracks on the dash, must have been stored inside. I don't think the windshield leaks. It's been out in the rain for days. The more I get into it the better I like it. Definitely not a waste of $400. I spent a couple hundred on wheels, couple hundred on the fuel tank stuff and a couple hundred on brake parts and $80 for a battery. All in for around $1250 but still need the right tires and the wheels I'm planning to use need work.

Oh and check out the keychain that it came with.
Attached Images

hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote