View Single Post
Old 05-01-2024, 07:12 PM   #9
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Dash stops working when I turn on lights

Don't forget to clean the brass contacts on all the peanut bulb sockets.

When I bought my '71 GMC Jimmy, the dash was completely dead. [Including the speedo.]
PO didn't care, he just cruised with traffic.
Anyway, I got a bunch of fresh bulbs, and cleaned up each twist-in bulb holder -- presto my dash lights came on. Then I found the speedometer cable disconnected in the back. The Water Temp gauge worked with the original engine when I bought it. When I changed to a fresh 350 Mr Goodwrench, the temp sender didn't fit. The repop wouldn't read electrically, so I mounted an Autometer mechanical Water Temp gauge under the dash. Works OK. Stock mech Oil Pressure gauge works OK. Not so sure about the Ammeter -- needle never seems to move off of slightly right of center.
Fuel gauge never worked. I tried running a new wire repacing the Tan line, but no go. Fuel gauge itself is good. Needle points to 3 o'clock when disconnected. It's gotta be the in-tank sensor. I bought a replacement sending unit, but found I have to remove the Skid Shield from under the tank. That means pulling several dozen bolts, after pulling the beefy trailer hitch, to drop the tank. Cutting a small square in the back deck above the sender position is too dicey. Not keen on a blind plunge cut with a cutting blade on a grinder to reach a fuel-filled tank. It could be exciting, but I'm content with monitoring my fuel level by using a logbook on fill-ups and miles driven.

As soon as I had new bulbs in it, the Dash lit up.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 05-01-2024 at 07:21 PM.
'68OrangeSunshine is online now   Reply With Quote