View Single Post
Old 05-10-2024, 09:01 PM   #255
hewittca

Re: Sullii the 72 GMC 1500

I'm just catching up here with some photos from the last month. I've been driving the truck quite a bit and just trying to enjoy it. I even drove it to work every day one week. I want to put as many miles on it while the weather is still tolerable. I also made a successful trip to the C10 Resurrection. It was the first year for the show and they had 250 trucks show up. Not too bad for a small town show in Lexington NC. I only managed to get two photos of the truck. One before heading out to the show, and one arriving. My friend came with me and after about two hours we left and headed back to his place to work on his truck with some newfound motivation. Ultimately, we ended up bringing his chassis back to my house so he has room at his place to start body work. He helped me so much with my truck and now we are making some serious progress on his truck.

The only issue I've had with the truck lately is a dead starter. At first I thought it was the battery so I tried jumping it with my Tacoma, but still no luck. Then I tried rolling the truck down the driveway and dumping the clutch and it fired right up. At this point I was highly confident it was the starter. Easy enough to swap. It took longer to go get the starter than it did to swap it out. I'm thinking the old one died because it was worn out because I don't think my exhaust is too close. We'll see how long this new one lasts. The starter was indeed the issue. Back to cruisin!

Here's a few more random shots of the truck. All out and about near home and work. The kids hop into a photo every now and then. They are usually with me since they enjoy riding in the truck just about as much as I enjoy driving it.

I've also been trying to improve my photo taking skills, at least as much as I can given I'm still just using my phone! My biggest mistake is I've been using the native 26 mm focal length of the lens which allows you to get really close to the truck and still fit it in the frame. This gives it a distorted perspective that exaggerates the size of parts that are closer to the camera. It makes for an interesting photo sometimes, but it doesn't faithfully represent the dimensions of the truck.

A more natural focal length for automotive photography is around 35-40mm. Unfortunately you cannot change this on my phone. You can, however, mimic it by changing the zoom to 1.5x. This forces you to take several steps back to fit the whole truck in the shot. The tradeoff is you reduce photo quality slightly, but the truck looks much more proportionately correct.

My tentative plan for the truck this year is to drive it until the weather is unbearable. Then I will most likely park it until the weather cools off just in time for the next C10 Fall Revival. After that, I will probably be ready to start working on the interior. That's it for now.
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote