View Single Post
Old 05-15-2024, 10:41 PM   #8
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Federal Pacific main panel and circuit breakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard2717 View Post
I have been slowly changing out several aluminum wire circuits in my house. It was a mixture of aluminum and copper wire from the start and everything was backstabbed in the devices. I changed out all the devices when I first moved in to get rid of the backstab originals. Still have 2 rooms left with aluminum wire. Very seldom do they get used so no load on any of it. The FP panel was changed on day one with a Square D QO panel. The FP panel was actually in really good shape visually but I had already had a few stories of fires with them. The house was built in 74 I think.
Not sure what "back-stabbed" means. When we bought this house (built in '68, so I knew it had aluminum wiring) I was told that there were "pigtails" installed. I pulled a switch plate to cover to check, and nope. The people who owned the place previous to us had been assured that the pigtails had been installed. They had been sold a bill of goods. They had to have pigtails installed before we bought it. In the process (which I observed), there was one outlet and one switch which had scorched wiring. Death waiting to happen.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote