View Single Post
Old 03-13-2024, 12:31 PM   #4
mr48chev

Re: Altman latches with power locks and windows

It sounds like it is far more of an issue with that contact set up than an issue with the Altman latches or the actuators for the door locks.

Meaning that when you work the handle on the inside you release the first click of the latch and loose electrical contact on those cute little contacts down on the door jamb. Then there is no complete circuit to release the lock. Going out and around to push the door in completes the contact and lets you work the solenoid.

I've never had a set of those contacts in my hand to examine them but had always assumed (and assume will get you in trouble every time) that one side had springs behind the contacts to allow them to make contact and still close the door without putting undue pressure on them.

The primary gripe that I have heard from guys that have those contact setups is that things in the door don't work when the door is open. Speaker doesn't play or they can't roll the electric window up and down. The one guy that I actually somewhat know that has them told me that is what he doesn't like about them, he has to get back in the truck and close the door to roll the window up.

The main reason I figure on going to electric windows is that when I stretch the doors stock regulators most likely going to work well with a window that is 9-1/4 inches longer and out of balance on stock regulators.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote