View Single Post
Old 12-07-2023, 11:15 PM   #75
Willowrun

Re: Had to buy - '77 Suburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
I found this thread again looking for info on lowering a Suburban. Ended up with a two-fer, Burb and Blazer/Jimmy info. WR, you didn't ask for opinions so feel free to ignore this. You were enjoying the Jimmy but it seems like you quit driving it after the last round of lowering it. It looks cool but would not look any less cool if it was put back up to where you could drive it without it rubbing. In fact, look a little better in my opinion. I know you have plenty of stuff to keep you busy. I kinda got charmed by the little truck though, and that gets my interest/imagination going. I think it would look cool to raise the back 1 1/2 inches and bring the front up to where it doesn't bump and rub. Still would look really cool. In fact, while I know lots of people like the 'level' look, I think these trucks look even better when the top of the wheel opening sits at the same position in regard to the tire - front and back. It does create a minor rake but it really helps with making the proportions look good. Side benefit of possibly being more driveable. Just taking the time to jot down my thoughts...
Wow man, you're pretty good! I'd be lying if I said that the Jimmy in it's current state isn't a chore to drive because of the front tires buzzing the inner fenders. It's a combination of the lowering springs I bought sagging, the shocks not having enough dampening, and lastly the tires are a little tall. I think it looks cool though. I purchased some 3/4 ton springs a few years back to cut and install as they will be firmer than the aftermarket lowering springs and will hopefully resist bottoming better when hitting dips in the road. I also intend on running it a little higher though as you suggest to further help the road manners. I plan on changing from the rally rims to some 15 x 7 steelies I purchased from a board member with some caps when I do the spring change.

In a perfect world I would have done all of this at least a couple years ago but unfortunately, I haven't had a lot of truck time lately since covid. I had an already very busy job and it's gotten about twice as busy since covid so my truck hobby as of late has been less wrenching and more sourcing trucks/parts for when my job slows down which should finally start happening in the coming months.

Appreciate you bringing this thread up as it makes me remember how much I like the Jimmy. Not a lot to do with it to tide me over for a few years (springs and interior) so perhaps it needs to come to my shop in the spring once the snow is done. That is as long as I can finish the Bronco in my shop this winter. LOL

I was moving things around in my barn in preparation for winter several weeks back and took this pic that shows what the Jimmy has been up to.
Attached Images

Willowrun is offline   Reply With Quote