View Single Post
Old 09-07-2019, 05:53 PM   #125
vintovka

Re: 50 years ago I was given this USAF 54 3100

The cowl vent knob has been a problem for me all along. About crashed several times trying o close it in a hurry during out coastal downpours. I looked at all the power options and they all have one thing in common. Not waterproof. While not an issue in cab munted on firewall the moisture issue is concerning due to being near the beach 24/7. Its 90% humidty right now and never gets below 60.

The original knob on mine had to be destroyed to be removed. I did not want to as its been there now over 50 years of my life and touched/used by many of my long gone relatives. Had to cut it in almost in half an pry it off. No sign of glue and I think they put knob when vent arm was heated and it formed a rock hard connection.

In any case i roughed out an "extension" with a knob. It add about 2" and ACTUALLY works (for me). I now can easily see and operate it when closed and reach it when open (without swerving head on into a log truck). Mine interior is far for original so it kinda fits in. what do you think (be kind to an old man).
Attached Images

Last edited by vintovka; 09-08-2019 at 12:05 AM.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote