View Single Post
Old 01-03-2024, 04:58 AM   #6502
Grizz1963

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside RESTO-GO!

So 2024…….

So 2024 has started??

The Caddy has proved to being back to 100% reliable as expected with the ECU replacement.
It is actually a pleasure to drive and at Christmas became a convenient 4 seater for delivering and collecting people as a “designated drivers car” so my lodgers and myself and Sally could go out.
Usually Sally drives and I can have a drink if I want but this year I was happy to drive.

Like “Prozac” the Citroen Berlingo a few years ago, this is an amazing tool for lugging stuff and people about.
Shopping is great, open the rear door and just put the bags of food straight into the car. The rear doors split asymmetrically, which means that one is wider than the other.

Deceptively small as well, despite it’s ability to swallow huge loads. Load volume is a creditable 2.9 cubic metres. Load length is 1,728mm, load height is 1,279mm and load width is 1,530mm. And maximum payload is said to be 625kg so over half a ton in a VW Polo based van. Pretty sure many were abused with a lot more than that.

Note the size compared to other small cars parked in the Morrisons car park.

One of the jobs I held off on was fitting two new tyres and getting the fast slow leak sorted until I could get the reliability back to standard.

With the van performing faultlessly I took it in for two new 195/55-16 tyres and to get the puncture sorted.
Slow leak was due to extreme corrosion on the bead edge of the wheel and cost me £25.00 to repair.
Along with the tyres, total bill for swapping wheels, tyres, puncture repair etc was £191.00

Old, really good and hardly used tyres and steels with centre caps in the rear.

Fitted

Driving back home with the extra wheels in the rear it became apparent that the wider tyres and wheels were rubbing on the relocated rear shocks going around tight bends at speed.

So next stop is a pair of 10mm spacers.
That should be more than enough to push the wheels out a bit.
Handling feels great as well.

Back home I added the centre caps.

Personally I am absolutely 50/50 on the steels vs alloys.

So before vs after.

Over the Christmas season Bonnie spent more time than usual with Sally and indoors.
She also discovered wildlife television.
Amazingly focused on animal programs. Interacting at times.

Having had a pretty wet, cloudy winter but without too much extreme cold, George spends most of the time indoors. Sleeping.
Last week while washing the cars during some better days, George came out as well.
He loves the sun.
Mr Feral.

Only a sliver of sun needed.

More later
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote