View Single Post
Old 08-04-2021, 02:03 PM   #5
hemi43

Re: Finally getting AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister.freeze View Post
No, I do not have any kind of shroud. However, the 2 fans as they are have done the job for 20 years. But I was thinking that I may just have to fab a shroud to make the whole setup more efficient. Is that really the answer to my problem? The radiator is not aluminum.
Is it the solution? I think so.
If it was me, I would buy or build an aluminum rad, and get a new dual electric fan from a reputable company like Flex-A-Lite with a built-in shroud. You can buy these in different sizes to fit your rad. I don't think its worth your while to try and fab a shroud for your existing fans.
I've built quite a few aluminum rads over the years, and have never had any problems with overheating with the rad itself. It was always poor air circulation that caused issues.
Thankfully these trucks can take a large rad, unlike some street rods that can be a pain to keep cool.
Another thing to consider is how you are turning the fans on and off. Don't use the sensor bulb that comes with the fans. They are easy to install, but never work properly. Best way is to use a temp sensor mounted directly in the water jacket.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by hemi43; 08-05-2021 at 08:44 AM.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote