Thread: 47-55.1 The Old Bench Seat
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2024, 04:41 PM   #24
jweb

Re: The Old Bench Seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by e015475 View Post
At one time I built custom furniture, and we used "no-sag' springs in our upholstered furniture unless a customer was willing to pay for an 8-way hand tie of individual wound springs.

https://lphomefurniture.com/seating-...p-seat-springs

If you were going to do a perimeter frame, I'd recommend that you use the no-sag springs instead of webbing - they are much more reliable/long lasting. We typically put about a 1" think cover of a fairly dense foam over the no-sags and the cushions consisted of a harder foam core wrapped with a softer foam. (feathers and/or memory foam was an upgrade/option)

Just my opinion, but a stack of foam with progressive density/stiffness on a plywood base works well without all the fussyness of springs or webbing. On my truck, I tried several different combinations of thickness and density for both the seat and the back to get to a combination I liked.
I totally agree with this. I have been doing upholstery over 20 years. There are many foam options and the springs aren’t necessary.

We build aircraft seats that basically just Velcro to the floor, no springs just foam. I have many customers that spend hours in these small planes that really bounce around and no complaints
Attached Images

1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, rebuilt
1974 Prowler trailer, rebuilt
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote