View Single Post
Old 12-17-2023, 08:16 PM   #29
dsraven

Re: Eliminate draft tube options

if it leaks from the cover, do yourself a favor and take it apart. fix it right and be done. clean all the surfaces properly, use the gaskets if they are good and replace them with new if they are not. use a little gasket eliminator on the gaskets if you want. rtv is the bain od most good mechanics as it is a bandaid fix usually and will eventually come off and leak. "the right stuff" silicone sealer is the ONLY silicone I will use now. too many come backs over the years to be bothered with any of the other rtv silicones. even then I only use it when I can't get a gasket or if the gasket needs a dab in a corner, etc. yes, maybe this will be a big job in your eyes, but better than never parking in a friends driveway because of the embarrassing spot left behind, or always cleaning up that spot in your own parking area, or having a really nice kinda one of a kind rig that has an unrepaired oil leak.
if those gaskets are in the box of stuff left over then it would seem the previous owner didn't take the time to redo that part properly. might as well just fix it right and carry on.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote