View Single Post
Old 12-18-2023, 02:03 PM   #39
TX3100Guy

Re: Eliminate draft tube options

Quote:
Originally Posted by leegreen View Post
If you tapped the cover and the block you will never be able to pull it tight, you need to drill the cover slightly oversize so it can pull tight. Use a drill stop or eyeball it but that hole needs to be bigger than the threads on the bolt

Sounds like dropping the pan is going to be required one way or another. You could consider doing that first, properly tap those holes or just drill them out and put on nuts from inside. Then put the pan back and fire it up to check the leak. Worse case you have to drop the pan a second time if you go the nut route - can see why tapping the block is attractive.
But you have a hoist right? And a spacious clean shop if your pictures are accurate - I am green with jealousy!

There are some tricks you can use to try and keep all the threading swarf from falling into the hole. I'm not sure I'd be confident enough to risk it with a bypass filter or no filter at all? and a valuable engine.
Given that it is a 1959 261 cu/in engine, it has full oil filtering with a spin-on filter.

When I tapped the holes, I coated the end of the tap with grease (my trick for getting the shavings to not fall into the pan)

The shop is indeed a clean one (epoxied floors) and boy did I have a mess when I backed it out of a parking spot on the shop floor and moved it onto the four post lift. Holy crap I used a lot of shop rags and towels......LOL

I'm going to need new gaskets for the timing cover and the oil pan. The ones I posted a pic of are very thin paper and that doesn't give me much comfort. The ones I have for the pan are old cork ones that I honestly don't trust. Where is a good place to find quality new ones?

My 1953 Chevy Work-In-Process Photo Gallery

"I don't have a carbon footprint, I drive everywhere."
TX3100Guy is offline   Reply With Quote