Thread: 67 Camaro Build
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2022, 09:33 AM   #194
7dee2

Re: 67 Camaro Build

Don is killing it I’m really pleased with his work.

There is more to tell on the Camaro heads, so after scoring those NOS 077 heads and doing some more research. I found that the general consensus is that they could use some port work to make them work better. Removing the exhaust port vein (unique to this casting, apparently flowed well on a test bench but in the real world attached to a header it doesn’t really help) and going from a C to a D port configuration in addition to some minor bowl work and a larger intake valve (perhaps). One thing led to another and I located a second set of 077 heads for sale in my area. My thoughts were if I can find a good set with this work already done, I could keep the uncut NOS set in my stash as backups if we run into an issue.

My problem was the seller wanted a lot of dinero, like crazy bucks on eBay money. Long story short I contacted him then waited, contacted then waited some more. Reached out once again in person and talked him into allowing them to go to a local machine shop (Fastlane, more on these guys later) to be checked out. They came back as a good usable set and he promptly updated his ads.

GM 14011077 Big Block Chevy Aluminum Cylinder Heads L88 ZL1 BBC

These are coming off a 489 CI BBC. None of the stud bosses are cracked, no welding on any part of these heads. There is a stamp from Gianino which I understand to be a speed shop out of Chicago. These are serious heads, not junk throw aways. The exhaust ports are 'D' shaped measure 1.90 tall x 1.557 wide and the rectangular intake ports measure 1.77 x 2.46. Valves are 2.25 intake and 1.88 exhaust both with longer stems for the valve springs. Currently the springs are Pacaloy double springs with #240 on the seat. the springs only have 5-6 runs on them. I was running a .775 solid roller cam. The rocker studs are ARP. I have the springs that came out for the Pacaloy. They are #180 on the seat. did not work too good with this cam. The springs are negotiable and I will install the softer springs and lower the price if you want. I had the heads looked over by a local machine shop and all the threads are good, the intakes were new with a complete valve seat regrind. The date codes on the heads are 068711 and 058711. These heads were sold thru GM parts departments as replacements for stock heads. I ran a stud girdle and had to use a spacer for the valve covers to fit, due to the longer valve stem length I think.

Here are some pics from the original ad and one of the stock exhaust veins as cast.
Attached Images

72 Cheyenne/K30 Super 133" DRW SOLD Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=645614
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@6dee7-7dee2
7dee2 is offline   Reply With Quote