View Single Post
Old 04-20-2024, 06:30 PM   #26
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: 1967 GMC V6 305 cu in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob B. View Post
The Ford 240 and 300 heads have alternating valve positions with individual ports, compared with the Chevy 6's siamesed intake ports. The center exhaust ports of the Chevy are also paired. The Chevy straight 6's use a number of 'Small Block' V-8 parts including pistons, valves, and rocker arms. The Ford 240 and 300 borrow some parts from the Windsor and FE V-8's. Cylinder head notwithstanding, I always thought the 292 was a better engine than the 300 because of its tall deck block and much better connecting rod ratio. The oiling system is better as well (Ford feeds the cam bearings before the mains). The 300 is something of a mythical engine among Ford fans (it is one of the better Ford engines no question) but I think the 292 was tougher and pulled harder at low r.p.m.'s.

The GMC V-6 was something else entirely, a purpose built heavy duty commercial engine that compares to the International Harvester V-8's and Ford Super Duty V-8's.
Thanks for the details about the Ford inline heads. I had assumed they just copied the Chevy L25.
My 2005 build of a 292 block uses Intake Valves that would be standard on the Chevy 307 V8 -- 1.84'' instead of the stock L6 1.6''.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote