View Single Post
Old 04-20-2024, 01:04 PM   #50
NDM

Re: Bucketlist Blazer -Restomod build 6.6liter L8T

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Congratulations! That sounds really good. Ok to ask what the new career is?

It kinda sounds like you could drop that motor into something like a 3rd Camaro and have what you're looking for driving-wise. Converting a 4x4 to a lifted 2x because you like the height but want to autocross sounds like you're putting that very cool rig into an identity crisis. How about just fix it up as is?

Can we see pictures of the Buick? It sounds cool.
I will be in the building automation industry as a project manager.

For your other comments, it basically boils down to this. I made a decision to stop buying and driving new cars. It was based on the insane cost of cars these days vs value that you get. I realized that I could build a badass restomod and drive it daily for half of what a new car would cost. That restomod would outlast these modern cars and be way cooler too!

So as far as my Blazer, it will be my daily driver on steroids. I am dead set on swapping the motor for reliability reasons and the fact that I will have a boatload of modern, fuel efficient power and I will not have to worry about driving anywhere from NY to Cali. I can drive mountains, desert and by the sea with out any worry. The motor that I have is getting like 18-20 mpg in 7,000lb trucks so I am sure that it will be awesome in my roughly 4,000lb Blazer.

Now as far as 4x4 vs 2wd, I am not dead set on either really. I wanted the 2wd version but they are hard to come by. When I found my 4x4, it was in such great shape that I could not resist. As I drove it, I realized that I really like it. The thing is, I have put it into 4wd once since owning it. I am not opposed to keeping it but it will cost me about $3000 more to keep it because of various adapters and two custom driveshafts. Not to mention I need to rebuild and modify my NP205 to accept the adapters. I could just run the new motor with the th350 but that makes no sense. I went from a th350 to a 6l90E in my Regal and it is honestly no comparison. The extra 3 speeds and overdrive are 100% worth it.

The last final point is the suspension. If I keep 4x4 I will 100% be blowing a bunch of cash on the suspension. I definitely do not like the way it handles and rides. To understand what I like you can look to my past. I deeply loved the suspension in both of my SRT jeeps. If I could make my blazer handle and ride just like my last SRT jeep, I would be over the moon. I am not an off road guy. I like vehicles that thrash the streets. If I could make my Blazer into a Typhoon or Syclone style AWD monster I would be thrilled.

So there you have it. I appreciate everyone that thinks that I should just restore it. I appreciate those that say slam it and go 2wd. It all boils down to what I want though. If I had someone that was sending me the $$$$$$$$$$$ to build it, it would be one thing. But it is my money and I will be the one that drives it. I went through a similar debate when I was deciding what to do with my Buick. Some were fighting for me to put a 455 in it. I decided to go with what I want and could not be happier! It has QA1 dual adjustable shocks on all 4 corners (front coilovers) and is a real sleeper. 6.0 fires every time and really scoots when ever I ask it to. I aim to have the same with my Blazer.

Wow....sorry for the drawn out response!!!
NDM is offline   Reply With Quote