Thread: Safety
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2022, 09:36 PM   #5
mr48chev

Re: Safety

The one thing that I hope stuck with all of my auto mechanics students that I had in 13 years of teaching was Work safe. Put the vehicle on proper stands that are on a solid surface or use something solid like decent size firewood round.

jackstands don't work on dirt, gravel or asphalt in the hot summer time. I've seen them dig into an asphalt driveway and tip over.

My hearing is not that good because of a year of flying in helcopters and firing a machne gun and then working in shops and using my air chisel and other tools without hearing protection. That and being around race cars with no hearing protecton.

If you are using an angle grinder for anythign you need full face protection and not just a pair of cool tv guy safety glasses.

I bought a Selstrom DP4 face shield before I took Gene Winfield's metal working class a few years ago and it was one of my better purchases as far as shop or safety equipment goes. The shape keeps debris from coming up under the mask and while the green flip up lens gets in the way a lot it sure is nice for cutting or even gas welding with the torch. If I had do overs I'd buy it without the green lens though.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000150J3C...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I got mine at Oxarc.

I've seen a number of shop fires that were caused by sparks landing in a trash can in the shop. A friend of mine lost his house and race car because of a fuel leak on the car in the garage where they had a gas fired water heater. He lost his wife in a divorce after he spent insurance money on a new race car rather than a house. Personally I am not a fan of attached garages except for a place for the wife to park her car. I want a shop that is totally separate from the house.

I didn't know the guy but a guy in this area made his family pretty sick because he was painting his car in the attached garage and the fumes were getting into the house. Word was that the house smelled like paint for weeks after that and had to be pro cleaned.

My buddy had an old fridge that was long dead that he kept all of his paint including spray cans in. It sat outside his shop door and he had the light rigged so he could plug it in and have a light bulb on in the winter to keep the paint from freezing. He was big on no paint or flamables in the shop though. He wasn't so good about clutter and trip hazards though.

As far as welding, cutting or grinding be aware of you surroundings and what might catch a spark including a car or truck with nice paint. I've seen a couple of paint jobs ruined because guys were grinding several feet from the car and sparks burned into the paint.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote