View Single Post
Old 12-25-2013, 01:12 AM   #82
torchlight

Re: Marvin (1953 3100)

Hey folks, a quick little update here after a visit to the shop on Friday. Quick stop to drop off a couple parts, see a few new changes on the truck, and pick up a pile of original parts off the truck that aren't going to be reused. Shortly after the new year, Marvin is going to come back apart, and all the sheet metal (except for the cab) is going to the body shop for paint prep. Exciting!!!!

Here's some pics:

Shop took the front sheetmetal off and installed the new front drive brackes, accessories, and pulleys. This front drive never came on a 5.3 LS motor from Chevrolet, but it bolts up just the same. This is a set off of a Cadillac CTS-V motor, and it works better for this build than the standard 5.3 truck motor items because the parts are shorter, and this gives me way more clearance between the pulleys and the radiator.

These are all just standard GM OEM parts - not really a fancy aftermarket bracket set. I thought about doing one of those nice billet sets, but ultimately decided that seemed a bit too flashy for Marvin's personality. The only thing that is not stock GM is the A/C compressor and mounting bracket. Had to go with a Sanden 508 compressor because I'm going to be installing some Vintage Air equipment. The compressor bracket is aftermarket - from Alan Grove Components.

In addition to giving me more room between the motor and the radiator, I particulaly like this front drive setup because it kind of "hides" the alternator and A/C compressor down near the crank pulley. I think this will really make for a nice clean look in the engine bay.

You can also see we threw the intake, throttle body, and air cleaner on for fun, just to see how it will look. Edelbrock Performer RPM intake. Fast EZ-EFI 2.0 throttle body. Thought about using one of the stock LS EFI manifolds, but decided to go this route so I can get EFI mileage/reliability but also have a more traditional "carb look" under the hood. I love the way it looks and fits in the engine bay. I've got different valve covers as well, but didn't put them on for these photos.

Here you can see the frame had to be notched slightly to fit the alternator and A/C compressor.

Popped the front sheetmetal back on to see how everything fits. Really happy with how the motor is sitting under the hood.

Here you can see all the clearance that was gained between the pulleys and the radiator fan. Before, when the motor was wearing the crank pulley for the 5.3 truck accessories, there was barely room to install the radiator fan.

Continued...