View Single Post
Old 09-07-2023, 11:21 AM   #46
Just-in-credible

Re: 1960 Apache K10 build

So...I got myself all settled in, and got to work.

item number one on the list is to get the lift kit installed in the front of this thing. It was a considerable amount of work, but not overly difficult. THe instructions were so so.

I had a few snags along the way, but overall it went pretty smooth. Most of my hang ups were because i just didn’t have the right tools in the new space yet. its incredibly frustrating when all you need is a deep socket, and you can’t do a dozen other things because of that one stupid thing.

On a positive note, one thing I was absolutely amazed at was how well PB blaster works to unstick things. I know this shouldn’t come as real news to anyone. But as an example, I had two things that just fought and fought and fought me. I had to remove the front hub and bearing assembly from the original steering knuckle, and of course, they were both rusted solid. I beat on them for half an hour, and gained absolutely zero progress. The passenger side torsion bar was the same. I absolutely could not get the damn thing to move.

It was getting late, so I figured, this was as goods place as any to stop for the evening. I gave them a really good PB soaking before I left for the evening, and let myself dread removing them the next day.

Well wouldn’t you know it...the same hub that I beat on until I could hardly lift the hammer...literally fell out when I picked the knuckle up. I was shocked. the torsion bar was the same, with a little gentle persuasion, it came right out.

I watched a little YouTube, and apparently liquid wrench is even better? So I might pick some of that up. But I've always just gave stuff a little shot of WD40, and that’s all I ever used.

Anyhow, I got the thing back together, and I’m hoping to take it for a burn here shortly. I still need to torque the front axles together. But overall, I think it is sitting at a pretty good height now.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=824325
Just-in-credible is offline   Reply With Quote